Dedicated to the devotional, exegetical and philosophical study of theological paradox in Conservative, Thoroughly Biblical, Historically Orthodox, Essentially Reformed theology . . . to the glory of God alone!

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Meet Barry Wallace

Editor's Note: We're taking a quick break from the current series to post the following article from Barry Wallace. Barry owns the "Who Am I" blog, where I also write occasionally. I'm thrilled to have Barry as a THEOparadox team member, but if you've been reading this blog, you already knew that. -Derek

Since Derek and I recently agreed to team up on our respective blogs, I thought it might be good for me to briefly introduce myself. For some time now, I've been a regular reader of Derek's blog, and an occasional commenter. In fact, our paths first crossed, I think, when I providentially stumbled onto Dereks' blog and commented on this post. I subsequently found Derek to be thoughtful, gracious, and Christ-like, both in his writing and in his interaction with others.

The other thing I discovered about Derek, as I continued to read his blog, was his relentless desire to be Christ centered, or gospel centered. Like a moth drawn to the flame, Derek's heart and mind constantly seemed to be returning to, and circling around, the precious, spotless Lamb of God. That's been evident to me in the past, and it's evident once again in Derek's current series.

For those reasons, and more, I was honored and grateful when Derek approached me about becoming a member of his blog team. I'm also humbled, and feel that I stand to benefit more than anyone else from this partnership.

That said, here are a few things you might like to know about me. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have in the comments.

Doctrinally...
  • I would probably be considered a moderate Calvinist. By "Calvinist" I mean that I love to attribute all glory and honor and power, in everything, to God and God alone. By "moderate" I mean that I place more emphasis on the universal aspect of God's love, and the unlimited aspect of Christ's atonement, than some of my fellow Calvinists.
  • I believe in the continuation of spiritual gifts, meaning I'm not a cessationist.
  • I'm as intrigued (though not as articulate or well read) as Derek is with the paradoxes of Scripture.
Personally...
  • I live in Sikeston, MO, a relatively small town in the southeastern corner of the state.
  • I'm 53, divorced and remarried, with two children out on their own, another one in college, and two still at home (that's 1 wife and 5 kids--oh, and the best little dog in the world).
  • I was converted about 34 years ago. My spiritual progress since then has at times been steady (chalk that up to God's grace), and at times wretched (chalk that up to me).
  • I'm a deacon in my small Southern Baptist church.
My contribution to this blog will be mostly unseen,. My aim is to support Derek behind the scenes and pray for him, as he aims to honor Christ with this blog and with his life. In that, I would love for you to join me.
ivnjt6yack

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to respond to anything written in the posts, or to the comments left by others. All comments are reviewed before they are published.

Please be charitable. If you disagree, do so with grace. Keep your words positive, focused, and on-topic. We don't expect everyone to agree, but we do expect everyone to treat everyone else with respect and grace, speaking the truth in love.

Thanks!
Mgmt.